Dealing With the Past - Toni Griffin 3 1/2 - 4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

This story is part of a series and best read in order. Aiden never got the chance to say goodbye to his lover, so on the recommendation of his boss he makes an appointment with the Thompson Agency. But the appointment doesn’t go as planned when he runs into someone from his past, some who made his life a misery. Jackson has done some things in his past that he regrets, when the victim of his bullying period comes into the office and he discovers the man is his mate he has a lot of grovelling to do, but first he has to get Aiden to let him help Aiden raise his dead lover. And, just why does someone threaten Aiden about raising the dead?

This story combines personal demons of the past and a slight mystery surrounding the raising of a loved one. Aiden’s school years still haunt him to a degree, being an object of bullying left unseen marks and now years later while trying to make an appointment to say one last goodbye to his dead lover, he bumps into one of the bullies and reacts badly. Jackson doesn’t know what he did to deserve a punch in the face, but he has to contact Aiden again because the man is his mate, when he remembers Aiden he is mortified of his past behaviour and swears he will do anything to get Aiden to forgive him.

I really enjoyed this story and the way that Aiden and Jackson both confront the past. Even though this story still does have paranormal aspects, that side is more in the background until later in the book, the main storyline is with Jackson admitting his faults when he was younger and with Aiden learning to forgive for past behaviour. I really liked the fact that Aiden didn’t just jump to forgive Jackson, but that he also didn’t draw out his forgiveness either. I also liked that Jackson recognised his own faults and was working on them, and that he was wooing Aiden rather than expecting Aiden’s forgiveness. The entire storyline is good and I really liked the twist to Brendan’s (Aiden’s dead lover) death, which was a surprise and fit nicely into the story.

I will recommend this story to those who love paranormal, overcoming the past to find love, becoming a better person, a great twist, hot sex and a very happy ending.