The Guilty Werewolf - R.J. Scott 3 1/2 - 4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

This story is part of a series and must be read in order. Declan is a werewolf, a Retriever for Glitnir, and he is sent to hunt his friend Connor when Connor fails to return from his own hunt of a vampire. Levi is an incubus and Assassin for the Fae Alliance and is sent along to make sure the job gets done. Levi has his own reasons for going though, reasons that he once confessed to Declan before Declan turned his back on him. Declan resents being sent with an incubus that he thinks is a traitor, but when confronting Connor and then Levi’s own actions has Declan questioning his own belief Declan lets love into his heart. But will it be enough for him to turn his back on all that he believes?

Oh I love the way this series is going, we are beginning to see that the rot goes farther than just the vampires and that Glitnir and the Fae Alliance might be much dirtier. Declan wants nothing more than to get his friend back and to put the vampire who must be holding him prisoner to death, but he is stuck with Levi during the hunt and he knows he has to convince Connor to return with him or Levi will kill him. Levi is desperate to get to the truth of what happened to his parents and the only way he will get the answers is to get Declan to accept that not everything about Giltnir is right, convincing Declan that he isn’t a traitor and that he does love him is much harder than he hoped.

This is really good, I loved how Declan was so confused and didn’t automatically give up everything he believed in, I liked that Levi had tried in the past to open up to Declan and didn’t give up even though Declan thought he was a traitor. I really liked that they listened to Connor and Micah without too much conflict, but it was wonderful to see the conflicting personalities clash and the warring of beliefs. Declan and Levi’s relationship isn’t easy and that is because of how they both see Giltnir. Levi has been told disturbing news which has him looking for answers but also doubting Giltner and the Alliances, while Declan has a firm belief that Giltnir can do no wrong, it drove them apart when they first got together, but now they have an opportunity to try again if Declan can open his mind to possible doubts about Giltnir.

I have to recommend this story to those that love paranormal political conflicts, strong willed characters, a great storyline and a happy for now ending.