Boystown 5: Murder Book - Marshall Thornton 4 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

This book is part of a series and is best read in order. Nick is left reeling with shock when the Bughouse Slasher strikes again, he begins to investigate trying to piece the vague clues left behind. The Chicago PD and Cooper have the same clues but for them all hands are needed when poisoned Tylenol capsules kill seven people.

Okay, this is going to be a really short review because everything I can think of to say would give the entire plot away. When a new victim is taken by the Bughouse Slasher Nick takes over Harker’s Murder Book trying to piece together clues to discover who the killer is, briefly teaming up with Christian (reporter) nearly proves to be a disaster and Cooper has his hands full with the Tylenol poisonings. Nick also has his own cases to work and he has to prioritise what is most important.

Nick is such a great character, he doesn’t have much time for soppy feelings and keeps his feelings close to his chest, that doesn’t mean that what has happened hasn’t affected him or that at the right moment he won’t grieve. This is a brilliant story that kept me gripped, I had to stay with Nick as he fought to put together the clues, as he fought frustration and anger and then as he tried to handle the realisation of what Harker had done. The mystery surrounding the Bughouse Slasher is great and the 1982 setting is fantastic, the way that Marshall Thornton immerses us in the time with the actions and words of the characters is brilliant. This story is a harsh reality of that timeline, with the cause of AIDS still unknown the scenes of sexual contact wasn’t as frightening. The outlook of this story is bleak and beautifully written, this story isn’t a romance.

I recommend this to those that love realistic 80’s, mystery, private detectives, dealing with grief, and solving mysteries. I am looking forward to the next book and truly hope that the outlook will be much happier.