In His Arms - Edward von Behrer 2 1/2 - 3 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

William finds bliss and happiness in New York from unexpected quarters. A day out with his cousin George places William in the path of banker Elliot and their attraction cannot be ignored, but finding happiness is harder than both of them thought. With drama, angst, plots, potential intrigue and a wealth of history a love story unfolds.

This is one of those stories that begin brilliantly but gets lost in itself along the way. The story has a very strong start and a wonderful buildup but then fizzles out, only to renew itself in a new setting before losing itself again. Let me explain... William and Elliot met briefly when William was knocked over in the park by Elliot's brother-in-law, neither man can get the other off their minds and they eventually reconnect beginning a relationship they both enjoy. Elliot has had a life of privilege and doesn't really understand William's need for independence, but William fully understands the difference in their social classes and Elliot's duty to his family name. This causes some friction between them but it gets sorted out between them, but the threat to discovery still lingers when Elliot's brother-in-law starts plotting against him and Elliot's potential fiancee begins to dig into why Elliot won't propose.... and then the storyline fizzles out when Elliot and William go to Europe.

That is when the next part of the story begins and this time it is mainly Elliot who angsts as William blossoms with new friends and Elliot begins to think that he will lose him to the lure of a easier life in Dresden. The relationship between the two is good, it shows the difficulty of the two men even being friends from two different social settings and the expectations they both have as to what to expect from the other. They have a rocky time together as William angsts over what would happen to him if Elliot ever got bored of him, and then later Elliot angsts over William not needing him so much.

The settings of the story are beautifully described and you get pulled into the beauty that is described and the vivid descriptions that are laid out for us, but even that can't make up for the disappointment you feel over the unsatisfying plot and the unfinished storyline. There was so much potential for the drama, confrontations and secrets but they just stopped dead leaving me frustrated and hoping it would be revisited, but the story took a turn where misunderstandings and silence dominated, and although I enjoyed the descriptions of the opera it was done just a bit to much towards the end and it began to bore me.

I recommend this to those who love historicals, forbidden love, crossing social settings, potential intrigue and a happy for now ending.