Few Are Chosen - Storm Grant 4 1/2 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Blake is the Chosen One, blessed with extra strengths to fight the evil that invades his city. On his first ever mission to the cemetery on a recon he meets a reflux demon and another young man who claims he is the Chosen One and during their battle of words the reflux demon slips away. Rather than be angry as the loss of his kill Blake discovers an attraction for the apprentice wizard, Shadow, and can't help thinking that maybe having a partner wouldn't be such a bad thing. But facing a reflux demon turns out to be not as scary as admitting their feelings for each other.

Oh this was such a fun story, an absolute giggle-fest with every turn of the page. Blake is a fantastic character who tries so hard to be the warrior hero from fantasy stories but is slightly bumbling and accident prone, Shadow is a wonderful character who takes the more loose 'boy from the hood' attitude and is slightly more worldly. Put the two boys together and we get a fun filled story of slightly angsty teenagers who feel the first flares of attraction. Their quest to send the reflux demon back to hell is hilarious and you can't help but squirm at times in sympathetic embarrassment that is tinged with glee.

While reading this story I couldn't help but be delighted with the characters, I even felt a kinship to the reflux demon as he came across as a jolly fellow dealing with pesky children, being indulgent as they fumble through their attempts to vanquish him. The story flows well as we see two young men awkwardly approach their attraction to each other while awkwardly fighting evil. While we get to see everything from Blake's perspective Shadow's feelings still come through pretty well, leaving you in no doubt that they are both full of bravado, a touch of angst and a mutual attraction.

I have to recommend this to those who love young adult urban fantasy/paranormal, lots of humor and laughs, sweet blossoming first love and a very fulfilling story.